Sunday, September 01, 2013

Learning to Lead

Y'all, 4 posts in one month, you're welcome.  Let's start off September on a good blogging foot ok? Ok.  Great. 
So, the week after we spent the week in Abilene for Kadesh, I packed up again and went to Learning to Lead.  It was SO GOOD for me to be there.  I primarily worked L2L during my time at Leadership Camps and now I remember why.  I'm always going back now, promise.  It's just where I belong.  I took 6 kids from our church with me and they LOVED it.  On the car ride down to Abilene, I asked each of them what they were looking forward to and what they were nervous about.  It was precious to hear what they were nervous about...the girls said things like, "What if I don't make any friends, What if my counselor doesn't like me, What if I get lost."  Serious things to girls.  The one boy that I took said, "Umm...what if my roommate snores."  Such a difference between girls and boys at this age, both precious.
 
A week before camp, I asked Melanie Fullerton to lead a group with me.  She agreed and I think it was one of the best weeks for her too....you'll see why
 
During my first summer working L2L I got placed into the Orange group with a leader named Von.  He was hysterical and such a great group leader for the kids.  On the first night, he played truth or dare with his campers and counselors....of course, kids got the truth questions and the counselors got the dares.  Needless to say, I was dared to drink pickle juice-or so I was told it was pickle juice.  When I chugged the glass, I soon found out it was jalapeno juice!  HOT!  Melanie had Von two years later and had the exact same dare.  So, what do we do with our campers and counselors on night one??? Yep, truth or dare.  Poor Rachel got stuck with the jalapeno juice.  Kids LOVED it though and we were thankful for the good sports they were all week with our crazy antics. 
 Here's 4 of the 6 kids I took with me from our church; Jaci, Brianna, Tyson and Laura. 

 The awesome Navy Blue group.  Gosh, such precious kids.  They shared lots that week and I continue to pray that the Lord will bless them during their time in 6th grade.
 Mel and I might have been the only group leaders to participate in crazy hair day....hey, things you do for kids, right???
 So so much fun.  And so blessed that ACU Leadership Camps are a part of our lives. 
 Oh, and don't worry, little G was well taken care of by Pop and ReeRees.  It was my first time to be away from him for a whole week.  I don't want to do it again anytime soon, but I know it was good for both of us.  And he was just a little spoiled!  Thanks, Pop and ReeRees!

No comments: